Sunday, October 26, 2008

Weekend stuff
















Ok, I've decided to forge ahead with journaling & catch up with other details later (birthday weekend, for one). We've had an exceptionally good weekend, it was one of those times when the kids have been playing together nonstop (with only occasional scrapping), the weather's been perfect, and there were lots of fun activities to bring us away from the house... if we're at home, it seems like a bottomless pit of chores/projects/cleaning up calls to us constantly.

So,
on Friday the kids went to Mrs. Sarah's... our lovely babysitter who keeps our kids along with our friends' kids most every Friday evening for a few hours while we have a date night. Rod & I tried a new 'raunt here in town called Yellow Mouth Grill. They have *outstanding* fried artichokes with 2 different kinds of sauce (tiger sauce was our fave). There was a guy panhandling outside & I pleaded with Rod to give him $$. Rod, who, as most people know, is VERY practical, suggested we bring him dinner instead (so our $$ wouldn't end up buying a 6 pack). I agreed & we delivered a plate from KFC a few minutes later. Only then did we realize what jerks we were.... "Hey, we just finished a delicious meal from this nice restaurant, enjoy your 2 piece special!" But we did include a large diet coke, surely that counts for something?

On Saturday Benji had a soccer game & Rod took him to that, since I'd been to the last 2 games. He's enjoying it this year, which is all we expect from our kids in organized sports. He's not so much into actually kicking the ball & getting into the crowd of kids, but he runs his head off and has a great time. We have another golf lesson scheduled in a week, so we're just into the trying-different-things-out mode right now.

Later on that day we headed to
Seward Farms, which hosts a huge corn maze & has various other activities during October. It is a guaranteed blast every year. Our favorites are the cow train & hayride. Ben led us through the maze! And Sophie & Ben made several trips running down the huge hills they have there. They conked out in the car & only woke when we rolled up to Bops, a new frozen custard place in D'iberville. They woke up REALLY fast.

I'm bummed because a good friend was in town & I didn't make it to her dinner because I thought we got back too late.... little did I know they were still sitting around chatting at 9pm that night! It was great to see you today, Katie!

Today, Sunday, we went to church & then the kids picked Mexican for lunch. They're currently sitting in the bounce house outside with 57, 839 stuffed animals waiting for chocolate fondue to be done in the crockpot. I've been trying to use it more often, inspired by
A Year of Crockpotting. We tried a cheese fondue last night, which taught me that white wine that's been sitting in the fridge for 6 months is just not good. Even when cooked & piled with goat, gruyere & swiss. So I'm hoping for the kids' sakes that it turns out much better today!

And a big THANK YOU to Aunt Connie for hooking us up with all of the gluten-free baking mixes!! Sophie thanks you a TON and so do I, the variety of things you found is *amazing*! We can't find even half that amount around here. We're excited to try it out.

No comments: